The concept of a “filling” is replacing and restoring tooth structure that is damaged due to decay or fracture. We will replace old, broken-down amalgam/metal fillings that contain traces of mercury with white fillings (composites) to restore your smile and teeth to a more natural look and feel.
With today’s advancements, no longer will you have to suffer the embarrassment of unsightly and unhealthy silver/mercury fillings or metal margins of the past. Eliminate the dark, black appearance in your teeth with tooth-colored resin or porcelain materials.
Comparing White and Silver Amalgam Fillings
- White fillings bond to the tooth. They strengthen the tooth by restoring most of its original shape. Silver amalgam fillings, on the other hand, weaken the teeth and make them more susceptible to breaking. Broken teeth can be very expensive to replace; white fillings can actually save time and money in the long run.
- White composite fillings are preferred by most patients. This is due to the natural color, strength, and overall appearance and feel. Composites are naturally more comfortable.
- Hot and cold sensitivity is greatly reduced with composite material compared to the silver/mercury amalgams.
- Restorations with composites require less removal of natural tooth structure. Dramatically smaller holes are needed with a composite than with an amalgam filling.
- White fillings are healthier because no traces of mercury are used unlike silver amalgams.